Saturday, March 26, 2011

Know Your Guest Count!

Even in the early stages of wedding planning, prior to making any decisions on where to have the ceremony, reception, etc., it is absolutely vital to have a running guest list. You need to know if your wedding is going to be big, medium, or small. It's amazing how many times I was asked the size of our wedding and how many quests we expected.

What started off as a long list of numbers on a sheet of good old loose leaf paper turned into an elaborate Excel spreadsheet that added the columns for me and kept track of adults, children, and babies. Whatever works for you is what you should do. The Knot has a place you can enter in your guest list, but by the time I'd stumbled across that, I already had created my Excel masterpiece.

When I created my spreadsheet, I kept track of the basic information I needed. Arranged according to families and couples, names were in the first column, then my guess of how many adults, children, and babies would attend the wedding. I totalled each column at the very bottom, and then auto-added those totals together to get my final guest count. In the beginning, all I could do was estimate to try to figure out how many guests we would have. Once we were far enough along in the process and received responses, I was able to go back in and update these numbers to reflect an accurate total, which we needed for the cake and reception hall.

Once you complete this step, you are ready to really get moving on the planning. The next, most important step? Setting the date. Advice coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment